When he turns 13, you have a full-blown teenager on your hands. Suddenly the blocks, trucks and other toys for kids are giving way to tech, games and cool stuff for their rooms. In one way, that make shopping for the best gifts for 13-year-old boys easier: By now, they might be interested in delving deeper into certain areas, be it STEM sets, art kits, outdoor sports or some other pursuit. But that doesn't mean he doesn't still have the time or desire to play, with more sophisticated games with more online components or more complicated rules.
With all that in mind, these are the best gifts and toys for 13-year-old boys in 2022. They include some toys that have been through testing at the Good Housekeeping Institute (including current and former Good Housekeeping Best Toy Award winners), bestsellers from Amazon and other items that teens can't get enough of. From the just-a-little-something, like fidget toys and cool accessories, to the big, techy, splurge-worthy luxury gifts, to funny gifts he'll want to show all of his friends, you'll be sure to find something for every 13-year-old boy on your list, no matter if it's for his birthday or Christmas.
Unusual Gift for 13-Year-Old BoysProfessional Printing 3D Pen MYNT3D Read More
Best Overall Gift for 13-Year-Old BoysInflatable Lounger WEKAPO Read More
Good Housekeeping Best Toy Award WinnerBrainBolt Genius Educational Insights Read More
Unique Gift for 13-Year-Old BoysLightning Reaction Reloaded Game Lightning Reaction Read More
Inexpensive Gift for 13-Year-Old BoysBluetooth Wireless Smart Beanie Soundbot Read More
For toys, the Good Housekeeping Institute does year-long toy testing to evaluate for safety, durability and ease of use, then hands the toys over to real kids to make sure they have the all-important fun factor. While non-toy gifts are not evaluated in the Lab, editors still look for gifts put out by trusted brands, gifts with great reviews from purchasers, bestsellers and editors' favorites. The list is then vetted by Good Housekeeping editors, who, after years of curating gift guides and keeping track of trends, tries to match the items with what is popular now and what Good Housekeeping readers and families have loved in the past.
For decades, the Good Housekeeping Institute has provided expert reviews and advice on everything parents and children love, including STEM toys, educational toys, sensory toys, board games and outdoor toys. While not all the selects on this list have been specifically vetted by our experts, Marisa LaScala, Good Housekeeping's Senior Parenting and Relationships Editor, has scoured the internet and spoke with tweens and teens for the other top-picks. Marisa has covered all aspects of the world of parenting, from the postpartum years through the empty nests, since 2015, and she's pitched in with Good Housekeeping's toy coverage since 2018. She lives in New York City with her husband and daughter, who are both avid toy collectors.
Looking for more great gifts for kids? Let the experts do all the hard work for you!
- Top-tested items: See what toys, gifts and books ranked the very highest in our Lab tests with our 2022 Good Housekeeping Best Toy Awards and our 2022 Good Housekeeping Best Kids’ Book Awards.
- Tech for kids: Our lab experts are often asked for recommendations for digital devices for kids, and we've tested kids' phones, game consoles and kids' tablets to see which ones held up the best for families.
- Great learning toys: While all toys can be helpful vehicles for supporting developmental growth, we love to spotlight notably exceptional educational Toys and STEM toys as well as ones that can support social-emotional growth, like those included in our lists of the best sensory toys, pop fidget toys and autism toys. Some of our favorite also landed in our lists of Hot Toys for 2022 and The 50+ Best Toys for Kids of Every Age.
- Gifts for babies: Please the newest members on your gift list (and their parents) with these useful baby registry items, as well as gifts for babies, gifts for baby girls and gifts for baby boys. Of course, you might want to get something for new parents to help them through the hectic newborn stage.
- Gifts for toddlers: The coolest new toys in this space pull double-duty, whether it's social-emotional learning combined with motor skills, or creative play combined with language, as you can see in our gift guides for 1-year-olds, 2-year-olds and all toddlers, as well as our stocking stuffers for toddlers.
- Gifts for preschoolers: As they begin to explore the world around them on a deeper level, help them explore with STEM sets, art kits, creative toys and toys that inspire their imaginations. Find our favorites in our gifts for 3-year-old boys, gifts for 3-year-old girls, gifts for 4-year-old boys, gifts for 4-year-old girls, gifts for 5-year-old boys and gifts for 5-year-old girls.
- Gifts for big kids: By these ages, they've developed their own interests. Help them dive deeper into the subjects that most interest them, from coding to art to cartooning to history and geography, with these gifts for 6-year-old boys, gifts for 6-year-old girls, gifts for 7-year-old boys, gifts for 7-year-old girls, gifts for 8-year-old boys, gifts for 8-year-old girls, gifts for 9-year-old boys, and gifts for 9-year-old girls.
- Gifts for tweens: Sure, once they get old enough for an iPad or gaming console you might be at a loss of what to get them. We have you covered with engaging picks for gifts for 10-year-old boys, gifts for 10-year-old girls, gifts for 11-year-old boys, 11-year-old girls and gifts for 12-year-olds, or see what's trending with boys or tween girls as a whole.
- Gifts for teens: We decode what's on the lists for this picky age group, from the hottest accessories to the most-wanted tech gifts, with gifts for 13-year-old boys, gifts for 13-year-old girls, gifts for 14-year-olds, gifts for teen girls, gifts for teen boys and even fun stocking stuffers for teens.